RIM today announced the launch of the new BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone in Nigeria.
Described as the thinnest blackberry ever at only 10.5mm, the new Blackberry Bold 9900 is the first of RIM’s bold line to provide a touchscreen, thus it’s okay to call it a Bold Touch.
The BlackBerry Bold 9900 features a high performance keyboard and touch display integrated within the iconic BlackBerry Bold design. It’s also the first BlackBerry smartphone to include built-in support for NFC (Near Field Communications), a new technology that is enabling many new and exciting capabilities, including the ability to pair with NFC-enabled accessories or read SmartPoster tags with a simple tap of the smartphone.
Distinguished by its beautiful design, amazingly effective keyboard and brilliant touch display, the BlackBerry Bold 9900 is crafted with premium materials including a brushed stainless steel frame that puts the finishing touch on a truly outstanding smartphone.
According to Waldi Wepener, Regional Director for East, West and Central Africa at RIM,
“The new BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone offers a powerful combination of an outstanding keyboard and a beautiful touch display that we think customers will love. Featuring the new BlackBerry 7 operating system, it also delivers enhanced performance, faster browsing and richer multimedia.”
The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is powered by the BlackBerry 7, the operating system, which is a next generation BlackBerry browser with a significantly faster, more fluid web browsing experience that is among the best in the industry.
In fact, BlackBerry 7 based smartphones deliver browsing results that are up to 40% faster than BlackBerry® 6 based smartphones and up to 100% faster than BlackBerry® 5 based smartphones.
The new BlackBerry Bold 9900 also features Liquid Graphics™ technology, combining a dedicated high-performance graphics processor with a blazingly fast CPU and stunning high resolution display to deliver a highly responsive touch interface with incredibly fast and smooth graphics.
The Blackberry Bold 9900 smartphone is currently available in Nigeria through Etisalat Nigeria and MTN Nigeria, although it is expected that it would be available to Airtel Nigeria and Globacom Nigeria subscribers as well.
BlackBerry Bold 9900
- 115 x 66 x 10.5 mm, approximately 130 g
- 2.8″ capacitive touch screen display – VGA (640×480), 287 dpi resolution
- QWERTY keyboard, optical trackpad
- 1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM
- 8 GB on-board memory, plus microSD slot supporting up to 32 GB cards
- Near Field Communication technology
- Browser – HTML5 browsing, View Movies/Clips from websites built for mobile streaming, RSS feed support
- 5.0 MP camera, supports 720p HD video recording but note that there is no autofocus.
- Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), Digital Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity Sensor
- Built-in GPS / aGPS
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi – 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11 a/n at 5 GHz
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR support
- Wireless Network support: Tri-BandHSPA+,Quad-BandGSM/EDGE
- 1230 mAh removable, rechargeable battery
- BlackBerry 7 OS
We’ll try and get a hands-on experience on the new device soon and write a review on Techloy.