Seedstars Durban, the Durban leg of Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, will take place on June 8 with 8 startups selected to pitch.
In no particular order, the startups are described below:
- You, Baby and I: An online platform that allows moms to experience brands by matching them to location and interests.
- Vitls: The startup building a revolutionary wearable medical device for homes and hospitals, allowing vitals to be monitored continuously and undisturbed from anywhere.
- Guardian Angel Safety Solution: A GPS tracking product that offers an affordable personal safety solution for children, adults, the elderly and even pets.
- Pocketpa: An on-demand app for concierge services for busy individuals and households, offering personal assistance in anyone’s pocket.
- RhinoRecon Group: An App that helps women select a hairstyle and book on-demand hairstylist.
- UXFoundry Pty. Ltd.: A platform for creating custom and enhanced instant messaging apps for businesses.
- Wango: A dating app that focuses on engaging conversations.
- Digital Sauce: The startups that is simplifying the process of receiving quotes for home renovations.
“After seeing more and more activity coming up from Durban, we decided to put it on the map of our 2016 tour, and so far we are very impressed with the startups and the ecosystem in general. We can’t wait to see the startups pitching at Seedstars Durban next week,” said Marcello Schermer, Regional Manager for Africa at Seedstars World.
All 8 startups will pitch in front of a panel of judges who will select the top three startups that’ll move on to participate in Seedstars Johannesburg, the grand finale.
At Seedstars Johanesburg, the three startups will compete with the best startups of Seedstars Cape Town and Seedstars Gauteng, of which one will be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World South Africa 2016.
The best startup from South Africa will fly the country’s flag at the global finals of the contest in Switzerland, pitching with other winners from across the world for a chance to receive over US$1 million in equity investment.
The event is supported by Standard Bank, who will further support the startups on their path to success.
“We look forward to the Seedstars event in Durban in June where we select the top 3 to join us at the grand finale at the Standard Bank Business Incubator in Rosebank,” said Jayshree Naidoo, Standard Bank Incubator Head.
Other partners include Entrepreneur Traction, Omidyar Network, Payfast, Startup Grind, Durban Hub, Smartspace.