11 startups have been selected to pitch at Seedstars Soweto, the Soweto leg of Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes.
In no particular order, the startups are described below.
- DroneSnap is an online platform that provides on-demand, high quality, professional drone operators for all forms of aerial imaging.
- Riovic provides digital and P2P insurance backed by crowdfunded reinsurance.
- BOTTLES is an alcohol delivery app that delivers alcohol to your door in under 60 minutes.
- Zula Afrika is a non-traditional, technology enabled public transport service, offering commuters the convenience and flexibility that they are used to.
- Sortd is a communication-centric organizer that transforms email and instant messaging into a set of organized to-do lists.
- Masokko is an Africa-centric B2B e-marketplace driven to help small and medium enterprises in agriculture, food and beverages to sell their goods to export markets.
- Black Industrialists (Pty) Ltd is an application that channels ED funds to smallholder farmers through monitoring, evaluation and reporting before access to markets.
- Pinard Aéronautique created a Pinard’s P3210 helicopter, an affordable, FAA-compliant solution that folds away when not in use.
- GEM Payment Services offers a mobile payment platform to reward social action.
- UmoyAir Communications provides free calls from mobile phones to any number without airtime or data.
- GoldPay is a financially inclusive asset-backed investment, savings and money sharing platform created on a blockchain technology.
All the startups will pitch to a panel of judges who will select the top three that’ll move on to Seedstars Johannesburg to compete with the best startups of Seedstar Cape Town and Seedstar Durban, whose winners will be announced tomorrow.
At Seedstars Johannesburg, one winner will be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World South Africa 2016. The startup will fly South Africa’s flag at the global finals of the competition in Switzerland.
“Durban and Soweto are our newest additions in our Seedstars tour in South Africa. I’m looking forward to witnessing the incredible talent that we will find in these new locations and showcasing it at our South Africa final and hopefully on the global stage,” said Marcello Schermer, Regional Manager for Seedstars World Africa.
The event is organized with the support of Standard Bank, who will further support the startups on their path to success.
“We are excited to be participating in Seedstars this year given the amazing results of the global competition. We are extremely proud to be associated with an initiative of this calibre and expect strong diverse entries as we expanded the competition to include two new amazing cities this year, Soweto and Durban,” said Jayshree Naidoo, Head of Incubator at Standard Bank.
She added, “We are committed to celebrating the talent of not just the country but the continent and we are looking forward to celebrating this year’s winner later this month.”
Other partners include Entrepreneur Traction, Omidyar Network, Payfast, Glocell and eKasi Labs.
South Africa is the third country Seedstars World is hosting its competition this year – Egypt was the first while Tunisia the second. The competition, which searches the most promising startups on the continent, will take place in 17 other African countries before the year runs.