10 promising startups have been selected to pitch at Seedstars Maputo, the Mozambican leg of Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes.
The startups were selected from a pool of applications received following calls for applications. In no particular order, the startups are described below.
- Compra: An online marketplace for quality brands, products and services.
- Kharin: A new intelligent shopping tool that allows supermarkets to advertise their products and services and consumers to compare prices.
- BlackBOX TV: Allows you to stream any content you want using their digital broadcast – no Internet connection needed!
- MolaPay: A peer 2 peer mobile payment platform which enables people to make and receive payments using smartphones.
- +J: A social media platform that provides exclusive services and benefits for all its users.
- Mozik: A music streaming platform that is focusing on the full potential of African culture.
- Ola Taxi: A mobile application to easily locate taxis and tchopelas.
- IZYSHOP: An online supermarket connecting producers to consumer markets.
- Vamobi Net: A startup that is modernizing the management of small water supply and distribution systems in developing countries.
- Kwine: A startup that allows anyone to locate their bus on time.
All the startup will pitch in front of a panel of judges for a chance to be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World Mozambique 2016.
The winning startup will go on to represent the country at the global finals of the competition in Switzerland where it will compete with other startups from across the globe for equity investment.
“After reviewing all the startups that applied to SeedStars Maputo 2016, we feel very confident that this will be another successful event, one which will showcase Mozambique’s potential as an exporter of technology,” said Tiago Coelho, co-founder at UX Information Technologies.
He added, “Competition will be fierce this year, and we hope that the winner will represent our country proudly in the Seedstars Summit in Switzerland.”
The event will take place on July 15, 2016 at Standard Bank Incubator in Maputo, Mozambique. You can register here if you’re looking to attend and experience firsthand what a Seedstars event feels (and looks) like.
The event is organized with the support of Standard Bank and UX Information Technologies together with partners such as Swiss Embassy, US Embassy, the American Cultural Center, Idealabs, and the Dutch Embassy.
After the Seedstars Maputo, the Seedstars World team will continue its tour of the continent in search of the most promising tech startups.