She Leads Africa (SLA), a social enterprise dedicated to supporting young African women and their journey towards professional success, has announced the selection of 10 startups into its Women-only Accelerator Program.
The 3 months program is designed to identify, support and fund the next generation of Nigeria’s brightest female entrepreneurs.
Following calls for applications, over 120 startups from across Nigeria applied to participate in the program but only 10 were eventually selected.
The startups were selected based on their traction and progress in the market, management team and vision to grow and scale across Africa.
In no particular order, the startups are described below.
- DeliveryBros – Helps you save time and stress through pickup and drops from the market to your house or office.
- VivaSante – Solves the medical industry’s procurement problem, by providing a technology enabled distribution solution resulting in transparency and simplicity.
- Koko’s Kitchen – An indigenous brand of confectionary dry mixes specially to suit the taste buds and pocketbook of the quintessential person on the go.
- Bubble Tii – Bringing the Bubble Tea phenomena to Africa.
- Shuttlers – Enables professionals to access comfortable and efficient transportation to and from work using seat matching technology.
- Keek’s – Designs tailored weight loss packages for busy women who a plan that is both effective and simple to implement.
- Native Bukka – A chain of Afrocentric quick service restaurants that specialize in exceptionally good bukka food served fresh all day for busy individuals on the go.
- BathKandy Co. – Creates sumptuous dessert-inspired beauty treats for women who crave the finer things.
- Independent Personal Assistant (iPA) – Provides strategic virtual assistance to high-level executives across Africa.
- Fresh Direct Produce and Agro-Allied Services – An eco-friendly social enterprise that produces premium organic produce through hydroponics and community action.
The startups will, for the next three months, work on their business strategy and growth, and concurrently network with investors and potential partners.
During the program, the startups will be mentored by Chudi Amu, VP of Investment at Verod Capital; Shirley Somuah, Investor at Cardinal Stone Partners; Seun Abolaji, Creative Director at Wilson’s Juice Company; and Tunde Kehinde and Ercin Eskin, co-founders of ACE.
The program will end with an Investor Demo Day where the startups will pitch for a chance to secure NGN2 million worth of investment from She Leads Africa, together with other business support services.
The program commenced on July 11 in Lagos, Nigeria and will end sometime in October.
The program is an extension of the She Leads Africa Entrepreneur Showcase, which made history 2 years ago as the first ever Pan-African pitch competition for women led businesses.
The finals of the Showcase took place in Lagos on September 26, 2015 and was won by Omo Alata, a food/beverage-focused startup.
She Leads Africa partnered with the Work in Progress! Alliance (VC4Africa and Oxfam) and Guaranty Trust Bank to launch the Women-only Accelerator.