Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, has announced the selection of 11 startups to pitch at the Angolan leg of its competition.
Called Seedstars Luanda, the competition seeks the most promising startup to represent the country at the grand finale, and possibly bring home the top prize.
Following calls for applications, several startups showed interest by applying but only 11 made the cut. They are described below.
- Tupuca – an online food delivery service.
- Ponto – an online service that helps people to relocate easily to new countries.
- Manifesto – a mobile app that aggregates news relevant for Angolans on their phones.
- Kamputer – the first low cost PC to be built locally for Angolans!
- Ingresso – a technology enabled ticketing platform.
- Wi-Connect – a startup that is making internet free and available for all Angolans.
- Nguimbi – an Afro-centric social network, conceived and developed in Angola.
- Buka – a website that helps people who love to learn find people who love to teach.
- SAP-TECHNOLOGIA – An O2O platform where users can hire local services.
- SOBA – an e-commerce fashion company.
- Kiandastream – a music streaming service focussed on African artists and bands.
The 11 startups will pitch in front of a panel of judges for a chance to emerge winner and crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars Luanda 2016.
The winning startup will represent the country at the global finals of the competition in Switzerland. There, it will compete with other startups from across the world for equity investment.
“This is our second year in Angola and we are looking forward to witnessing the exceptional talent that Angola has on offer. Also, we want to use our platform to showcase the Angolan startups on the global stage,” said Claudia Makadristo, Associate for Seedstars World Africa.
Seedstars Luanda will take place on July 27, 2016 at the Magna room of Banco Económico in Luanda.
If you’re looking to watch the startups pitch, you can book a seat here – the event will be filled with disruptive tech, inspirational discussions, networking sessions.
Facra, one of Africa’s largest VC funds, KiandaHub, Unitel, Total E&P, Fábrica de Sabão, Grupo Media Rumo, and a host of others, are supporters of the event.
“It is with great pleasure that FACRA will partner with SeedStars for the 2016 event in Luanda and get the chance to know first-hand the innovative businesses of Angolan entrepreneurs and be part of a worldwide effort in promoting and empowering startups in emerging markets,” said Armando Teixeira from FACRA.