Following calls for applications, Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, has selected 11 startups to pitch at the Ethiopian leg of its competition – Seedstars Addis Ababa.
In no particular order, the 11 startups are described below.
- Kale General Electronics plc: Innovative and affordable solar based poultry Incubator that facilitates food security and clean energy for homes in rural areas.
- VitaBite Nutrition: A recipe based nutrition communication platform that informs parents about child nutrition in the first 1000 days after birth.
- GurshaRides: A cultural brand-driven ride-share platform that aims to link private car owners to ride seekers and rekindle social bonding.
- Simbir: A mobile payment system that allows anyone to pay bills, buy and sell online and transfer money by using a phone.
- Yeneta (Haletatech Solutions): A specialized management software for educational institutions that takes out the enormous volume of paperwork.
- Abithrone: Company that applies concepts of big data for intelligent farming.
- ZayRide: An on-demand taxi service that connects riders and drivers through smartphone app.
- MelaHub: A web based platform prepared to be customized to different system needs.
- Addistag Systems PLC: An applications that modernizes the distribution of local books through their platform.
- Stavimer: A company that lets anyone discover, enjoy and share local talent in their proximity.
- Hulubet: An online event marketplace and event management system that finds events based on interests and sells and manages tickets.
The startups will pitch in front of a jury at Ice Addis, a collaborative work environment in Addis Ababa, on September 14, 2016 for a chance to emerge winner.
The winning startup will be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars Addis Ababa 2016 and pick up the sole ticket to represent the country at the global finals of the event in Switzerland.
At the global finals, the startup will join the global Seedstars Family and take part in the regional and global Seedstars Summits that include a tried and tested bootcamp and investor forum.
The Summit will end in a pitch session, where the winning startup will compete with other amazing startups from across the world for a chance to emerge winner and win up to US$1.5 million in equity investment prizes.
“We are very excited to bring seedstars world for the second time to Ethiopia. Last year we were impressed by the quality of the startups and the industries they were trying to disrupt. This year we are looking forward for an even more out of the box, exciting solutions to come our way at our event on the 14th of September,” said Selam Kebede, Associate at Seedstars World.
Persons interested in attending the event, which promises to full of fun, can register for free.
The event is organized in partnership with Ice Addis, and supported by VC4A, XHub Addis, VC4Africa, 251 Communications, EastAfrica Gate, Krimson PLC, EIABC, Ethiopian Architects, DesignWeek and AddisInsight.