Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, has selected 10 startups for the finals of its event in Tanzania.
In no particular order, the startups are described below.
- Bahari Technologies: A software that tracks and manages subscription services.
- PHS (Geek Technologies Limited): PHS stands for Paperless Hospital Systems and is a integrated hospital information management system.
- Mitikaz Inc.: A mobile billing system that enables businesses to create unique bill references and easily accept mobile money payments.
- Planbook Inc: A compnay that provides the youth with useful information that will help them plan for their future early through their platform.
- Scancode (T) Limited: A company that provices high tech solutions to curb counterfeit ‘fake’ products in the market by involving authorities, brand owners and consumers.
- MCA Technologies: A compnay that focuses on smallholder farmers with the use of sustainable technologie to improve their productivity, while preserving the resource base and the environment.
- EcoAct Tanzania: A company that transforms post consumer plastic waste into plastic environmentally friendly plastic lumbers.
- A-Trader (Andrea Consulting): the first online/app based trading platform in Tanzania for trading securities in the local stock market using a mobile device.
- Kilimo Info: A platform that is used to provide agricultural information that are esssential for the agriculutural process development.
- Jamii (EdgePoint Digital Ltd): A mobile micro-health insurance product for the low income and informal sector population at just $1 per month.
“The startup ecosystem in Tanzania has been growing exponentially and so does the quality of the startups themselves. We are looking forward to see what awaits us in this exciting place and cannot wait for our event on the 24th,” said Selam Kebede, Associate at Seedstars World.
All 10 startups will pitch to a prestigious jury on September 24, 2016 at Buni Hub, an Innovation space in Tanzania, for a chance to emerge winner.
The winning startup will be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars Dar Es Salaam 2016 and receive the sole ticket to represent the country at the global finals of the event in Switzerland.
At the global finals, the startup will join the global Seedstars Family and take part in the regional and global Seedstars Summits that include a tried and tested bootcamp and investor forum.
The Summit will end in a pitch session, where the startup will compete with other amazing startups from across the world for a chance to emerge winner and win up to US$1.5 million in equity investment prizes.
The Tanzanian competition is organized with the support of the Swiss Embassy, TANZICT and local ambassador Buni Hub. Other partners include Anza, VC4Africa and Lionesses of Africa.
“Winning a competition alone has never been a guarantee to success. But participating is most rewarding due to the exposure and attention which every business needs. I believe that the new generation of young entrepreneurs will shape Tanzania’s business landscape in a significant way, watch out,” said Arthur Mattli, Ambassador of Switzerland to the East African Community and to the Republic of Zambia.