Seedstars World, the biggest seed stage startup competition for emerging markets, has selected 11 startups for Seedstars Johannesburg with the top startups advancing to the grand finale.
Seedstars World announced few weeks back the fourth edition of its seed stage startup competition in Africa will hold this year and will see it cover more countries than previous editions.
Promptly, it opened applications for the South African leg, both in Johannesburg and Cape Town, of the contest in search of the best startups in the country.
11 startups have now been unveiled for the Johannesburg satellite event. They are described below.
- Arcus Capital: digital investment tools to help investors achieve their financial goals while solving advisers practise management and regulatory issues.
- BeaconWorx: provides a central platform for collaboration between pilots, aircraft owners and training schools.
- CommuScore: an alternative credit scoring model focusing on the savings schemes and loan repayments that happen in the informal market.
- Empty Trips Pty Ltd: an online smart transport marketplace connecting transporters, brokers and shippers.
- Muzi Tech: a health tech startup using smartphone to improve accuracy and create valuable epidemiology data for HIV screening.
- Powershare: a hand glove that connect to the phone via Bluetooth whereby users can read and respond to their messages without looking at their phones.
- Simplus Innovation: creates data experience solutions which utilize data to close the gap between the business and technology teams.
- WiPo Wireless Power: provides wireless power solutions for the use in power line inspection drones.
- Invoiceworx: an inventory financing platform that gives small retailers access to lines of credit from suppliers.
- Easy equities: allows you to invest in the stock market at a fraction of the cost of traditional stock brokers.
- Lenoma Legal: a legal eCommerce website with instant legal document download capability for business owners.
The startups will pitch to a panel of judges on 26 May 2017 at the Standard Bank Incubator for a chance to advance to the grand finale in Johannesburg on 29 July 2017. Startups from the Cape Town event will also join in the finale.
“Since we launched the Seedstars World initiative, we have witnessed the growth and acceleration many entrepreneurs that came through the program,” said Claudia Makadrito, Regional Manager for Seedstars World Africa.
She added, “This year, we have received a record number of applications this year and we are excited to find the next potential global seedstars world winner.”